Fossil Digs (Alpena Michigan only)
Upcoming Digs Scheduled
DATES FOR 2014 DIGS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN LATE MARCH
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to attend. Space is limited - first email, first get.
If you are interested in a fossil dig please email email@example.com
If you are interested email asap . There is a limit of 10 families..
Please email for further information and registration forms. Limited to only 10 families per dig.
The following Fossil Digs are day-long trips to three locations in Alpena County. The sites are extremely fossil rich. Finding fossils is GUARANTEED.
Trip consists of visits to three Alpena area dig sites. Two sites are on public land and one site is private. Bring lots of buckets because the sites have literally Millions and Millions of fossils to discover. - Sorry NO DINOSAURS or Mastodons. All fossils are Marine Invertebrates that are around 350 Million years old.
Participants may keep all the fossils they find.
If you have a small group and are interested in a Paleo Dig, you've come to the right place. Over the last eight years, PaleoJoe has led over 40 fossil expeditions to fossil rich areas around Michigan, Northern Ohio, and Western New York.
The deposits searched are Ordovician to Devonian. Primarily looking for ancient Marine invertebrates. Participants keep all the fossils they find.
Students will learn dig site etiquette, tools of the trade, dig site safety, how to find and identify fossils, proper digging techniques, history of the area where they will dig, and much more!
Weekend Digs during June, July, & August. Availability of weekday Digs varies.
(call or email for details)
Comments from some past participants.
- We cannot thank you enough for the wonderful trip to Alpena. It could not have been better. Collected some great fossils and learned a lot. Ready to go again. T. and M. Gibson
- Thank YOU for hosting this past weekend's event. My son, James, is more determined than EVER to become a paleontologist when he grows up. You have provided an inexpensive way for families to spend time together, for kids to meet other kids with similar interests, and an educational day filled with memories to last a lifetime. For James, this was a great way for him to get his feet wet and see if paleontology would be something he would really and truly want to do as an adult. Michele T.
- Dear Paleo Joe: We all want to say "Thank You" for an awesome time at the Alpena dig on Saturday. It was educational, exciting, fun, adventurous, and a great dig! Sharon and Eric S.
- We had a BLAST! The kids were chatting all the way back to (home)! Each of them had their favorite spot, and each of them had their favorite fossil. We just can't thank you enough, it was so much fun!! D.G.
- We would like to thank you for the awesome Alpena dig you took us on Aug. 1st. We learned so much, collected great fossils, and enjoyed spending time with you. Thank you for spending some time with each one of us at each site...answering our questions, teaching us the real names of the fossils we found, and sharing your spirit of adventure in paleontology! E.M.
- Thanks again for the great day yesterday. We had so much fun and our son just can't stop talking about it!!! Today we are going to be cleaning up the fossils and he is going to take some to school for show-and-tell. We really appreciate all of your talents and how much you inspire everyone. Keep up the good work. A.Y.
- Joe thanks for a great day fossil digging! The kids had the time of their life. You were a great guide and
incredibly organized. I will be recommending you to all my friends with kids in the future. M.F.
- Paleojoe, Just wanted to say thankyou for such a great experience this past Saturday in Alpena. We enjoyed ourselves much more than we could have anticipated! And I think you have converted 6 year old T into a budding paleontologist. We really appreciate you not only sharing your knowledge with us, but also the patience you demonstrated with the young kids. I know T. wanted to run and show you every single fossil he found, and your patience and enthusiasm never waivered! As his mom I am more than grateful. Thank you again for the wonderful experience, and we look forward to going on more fossil digs with you in the future. J and T B. 6-7-2011
- Dear PaleoJoe, Thanks from our entire family for the wonderful time we had with you on our fossil dig! The adults enjoyed it as much as the kids did and our budding paleontologist, A., was absolutely inspired. L.O. 6-30-12.
- I really appreciate your the time and patience you gave us for this dig. It was definitely worth the trip from North Carolina. C.B. 7-13-12
email me for details.